Saturday, May 21, 2005

HARUKI MURAKAMI AND THE LAWS OF ATTRACTION:

One's a first rate Japanese writer, the other's a piece of shit nothing film about 'college' that the guy at the video shop recommended, for fuck's sake.

Where's the connection?

1) I've just finished HARDBOILED WONDERLAND & THE END OF THE WORLD.
2) The Laws of Attraction film has an End of the World party.

Tenuous connection, huh?

Well, not really. I'm a great big fan of Murakami's work - on my scruffy bookshelf I have Sputnik Sweetheart, South of the Border West of the Sun, After the Quake, A Wild Sheep Chase, Norwegian Wood, The Elephant Vanishes, Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-up Bird Chronicles and Hard Boiled Wonderland & The End of the World. As earlier mentioned, the film The Laws of Attraction is shit. So is Hard Boiled Wonderland & The End of the World.

Sorry, Mr Murakami, I have to say it like it is. I hate giving negative reviews but that's the way it is. I've tried (about three years ago) to read this bi-furcated book about computer codes and walled towns (that first time was a real struggle, I got half way through after much struggle with the characters, the narrative and the structure of the book...). This time (three years later) I got to within 90 or so pages of the end before throwing the book across the room in exasperation.

I re-read the sucky little critiques and blurbs on the inside and back cover respectively and I think, "What the fuck were you reviewers reading? Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is about as indigestible and unentertaining as Burroughs stupidest monochrome cut'n'paste exercises. It's not interesting, intriguing or fun. It's over-blown (should have been a 10,000 word short story in something like The Elephant Vanishes), dull, lifeless and rubbish."

I know you can't please all the readers all the time. But I'm not all the readers. I'm just little old me, a staunch Haruki Murakakmi fan. How can I neither like nor even empathise with this book at all. It depresses me like I can't explain. So sad.

No comments: