Thursday, May 07, 2009

Harriet White - Sarah Wiseman Gallery - Oxford


I saw it, swerved and nearly came off my bike - such was my shock. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A man's bespectacled face, two meters by one meter. It couldn't be true. It couldn't be a painting.


"It has to be a photograph," I was telling myself, having nearly fallen off my bike and looking for a space outside the nearby Summertown Local Library to chain it up, "It has to be a photograph." I knew all too well that the Sarah Wiseman Gallery (South Parade, Summertown, Oxford) didn't carry photography and started to get VERY excited.


You all know I'm on a bit of photo-realist jag at the moment, artists on this blog recently featured include Robert Standish, Andrew Wyeth and Rebecca Cambell. I might have discovered (quite by accident) another lovely photorealist artist. Harriet White graduated from Bath Spa University College in 2001 with a degree in Fine Art (Painting). Previous to that she completed a year’s BTEC Foundation course at Falmouth College of Art. She is currently living and working in Bristol, undertaking commissions and creating work for exhibition.


Along with the figurative images I've chosen to illustrate this blog post you'll see that the Sarah Wiseman Gallery is also showing a selection of Harriet White close-up flower paintings. The richness of the colours really doesn't come across in these photos - I'd recommend visiting the gallery, in case they're offering a newer piece for sale.

So, now you understand why I nearly fell off my bike.

No comments: