Mike Philbin - Introversions & Dichotomies 2017 - the three ancient names of Saturn



I have thought a lot about this 100 cm by 100 cm painting, mostly because it's the biggest painting I've done in this abstract series and it's probably gonna wrap up work on my black-gloss white-gloss Saturn series.

But art is wierd, right? I don't know how many others of you have experienced this but, "Live art never goes as one expects," it's a living tight-rope or russian-roulette spin.

I get to the shop this morning, and no paint; not the colour-gloss I wanted. So, I could have gone elsewhere, but I thought no I'll go with it and chose two gloss paint colours suitable for a brown dwarf i.e. proto-Saturn, the star of our ancient ancestors.

I did have all sorts of plans for this painting but fate got in the way and it went to a special place I hadn't intended it to go. Am I happy? I'm intrigued, a bit spell-bound by the whole machine of magical creativity. It seems to know more about its job than I do.

IS-RA-EL are the three (ancient) names of proto-Saturn, so let's call it that.

Comments